Friday, April 6, 2018

Eric Ripert's Salmon Rillette

There's a new chef in town--well at least at my food blogging group, I Heart Cooking Clubs. It's French chef, Eric Ripert and we will be cooking his recipes weekly for the next six months. Usually the first dish I make from a chef is a soup but I had heard good things about his Salmon Rillette and since I had a packaged of smoked salmon in my fridge and salmon in the freezer, and needing something quick and easy for a busy week, I decided to try it.


The recipe calls for salmon to be poached with shallots in white wine, then cooled down completely before being mixed into the mayonnaise with a few other ingredients. I poached my salmon the night before I made the dip--which meant putting it together took just a matter of minutes and was done while I toasted my sourdough baguette slices.


Salmon Rillette
From Avec Eric by Eric Ripert
(Serves 6)

2 cups dry white wine
1 Tbsp minced shallot
1 lb skinless salmon fillet (preferably wild), cut into 1-inch pieces
3 oz smoked salmon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup (or more) mayonnaise
2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh chives
1 Tbsp (or more) fresh lemon juice
fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
1 baguette, thinly sliced, toasted

Bring wine and shallot to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low; add salmon. Gently poach until salmon is barely opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Strain poaching liquid through a fine-mesh sieve; set aside shallot and discard liquid. Place salmon and shallot in a large bowl; cover and chill until completely cooled.

Add smoked salmon, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, chives, and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to salmon and shallot. Gently mix just to combine (salmon will break up a little, but do not overmix or a paste will form). Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more mayonnaise and lemon juice, if desired. 

Serve rillettes cold with toasted slices of baguette.

DO AHEAD: Ripert says that the Rillettes can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.


Notes/Results: If you like salmon and smoked salmon, you will like this rillette. Big chunks of tender poached salmon, little bursts of smoked salmon flavor and a silky texture from the mayonnaise all on a crisp baguette. It is impressive enough to serve guests at a party, but simple enough to serve as a weeknight starter or even a light lunch of dinner. I thought about swapping in Greek yogurt for the mayo but I decided to to keep the mayo and used my favorite vegan mayo which lowers the saturated fat--but is still creamy and good. I will happily make this again.


So Santé Eric Ripert! We are making any Ripert recipe to welcome him to IHCC. We'll be cooking with Chef Ripert at I Heart Cooking Clubs through September 30th. .
 

 Happy Aloha Friday!
 

2 comments:

  1. Your rillettes look pretty inside that fish shaped bowl. Anything spread on crackers or toasts will get my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lydia, I am loving the fish shaped bowl. So cute! This dish has all the things I love, crunchy bread and creamy spread. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)